We want our students:
- to enjoy learning, achieve exceptionally well and take confident steps on the next part of their learning and life journey
- to learn character and resilience to equip them for the world in which they live
- to contribute to their communities and become confident citizens.
Traditional approaches have failed our students. Our academy’s curriculum empowers children and young people, delivering the knowledge and skills that they need to succeed in their adult lives.
The fundamental principles of our curriculum:
- Give pupils real-world curriculum experiences
- Deliver outstanding teaching
- Offer rigorous and high-quality critique and feedback of pupils’ work
- Develop dynamic leadership – including staff and pupil leadership
- Create a culture of respect
Our curriculum is delivered through project based learning linked to three areas which we refer to as ‘pathways’.
- Language, Communication and the Arts
- STEM & Vocational
- Society, Culture, Outdoor & Service Learning
We encourage pupils to recognise their personal learning journey and take pride in their achievements.
Our primary provision (KS2)
Our KS2 pupils learn through the same connected, project-based approach. Our skilled practitioners co-create projects specifically to meet the emotional and learning needs of our children. Our KS2 students also take part in horse riding & swimming.
Our secondary provision (KS3 and KS4)
At our academy KS4 students all follow the core offer of:
GCSE English Language (AQA) / Step up into English Gold, Silver or Bronze
GCSE Mathematics (AQA) / Step up into Maths Gold, Silver or Bronze
GCSE Biology / Step up into Biology Gold, Silver or Bronze
ICT (functional skills)
Students then have the opportunity to choose one option subject from the follow list:
Motor Vehicle Maintenance (available from May 2020)
GCSE Arts Award
GCSE PE/Health and Fitness V Cert
Health and Social care OCN
AQA Single Awards – if a student has a specific interest in a subject outside of this offer we aim to provide resources to be able to study this
As part of our careers programme, we ensure that pupils in years 8-11 find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships opportunities. Pupils will have the opportunity to hear from a range of local providers about the opportunities they offer – through options evenings, assemblies, group discussions and taster events. Our pupils are also shown how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses available to them. Find our more about the careers advice we offer.
If you would like any further details about the curriculum offered at Olive AP Academy – Suffolk please contact the main academy office. T: 01449 613 931